Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Capturing calm


IMG_1840, originally uploaded by Kodamakitty.

I haven't had a chance to post lately, but I have been taking photos, so I wanted to share one of the ones I was really pleased with. I love photos because they can capture a moment, a mood, or a view of how we wish life really is. This picture to me is vibrant, soothing, and calm.

Which right now, despite the relative lack of traffic in my office, I have a long laundry list of things to do that make life anything but calm.

It's time like this that my dubious powers of rationalization lead me to eat that one extra serving, or to crave things that I know will show up on the scale the next day. I say that it's because I'm under stress, knowing full well that if I am truly under stress, my body will be on full-alert mode to hold on to every extra ounce in order to survive whatever ordeal I am supposedly preparing for. Batten down the hatches! Every fat cell for itself!

I need to teach my body to crave healthy things and to hit the treadmill or go for a walk when I'm bored or fidgety. I also need to get a bit more organized so that I'm not drowning in a sea of paper and projects. I keep waiting for a good time to do it all in one lump sum, but that never really happens.

So, much like I took some time out to take advantage of a sunny window and a free bunch of sunflowers, I will try to take advantage of smaller moments to sort little piles, rather than letting them pile up. And I will take advantage of small moments to gain a sense of calm, rather than letting everything build up into a morass of frustration and inertia.

I will be calm. I will get organized. I will not let the munchies get me!

No comments:

Post a Comment