Sunday, August 23, 2009

It's only natural


It's only natural, originally uploaded by Kodamakitty.

And yet, I was really hopeful this time.

As I mentioned in my previous post, there appeared to be a candidate egg and poor Geoffrey had to learn to give me the hormone shot to stimulate its release. The following Monday (so almost two weeks ago) we went through insemination. We also found out the happy news that IUI is covered by our insurance (yet another instance where male procedures are covered, but I am sure someone else is blogging about that), so we didn't have to pay and we have since received a refund from the IUI in May.

All we could do was wait, since a pregnancy test would only pick up on the hormone from the shot and not give a true result. But today, alas, my period has started, thus the shot of feminine hygiene products (and a pretty Dunny for levity) and a crying jag from me...

Geoffrey is disappointed too, of course, but his gentle strength and reassuring love are the best balm to my bruised soul, and I'll readily admit, ego. These are not the sort of tests you can pass on merit alone. There is chance involved and Lady Luck is fickle. We can joke all we want to about women who have babies when they don't want them and how we spend all our time trying NOT to get pregnant until we do, but at the end of the day, my chances of conceiving are really about 20%. This is only really our third attempt. We may be able to get lucky on our next two tries or in our next seven tries.

I guess the important thing is to keep trying.

I may need to call in for a mental health day tomorrow. I'm okay, for the most part, just sad and I'm not sure I can truly deal with trying to be efficient and cognizant tomorrow. I may just stay in bed and watch "Truly, Madly, Deeply" while eating a bunch of chocolate and browsing on eBay.

Then on Tuesday, we will begin again.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment